Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Heavens are Against Me (Again)

I have to admit, I was surprised that the PhD from Cambridge didn’t call me yet. We sat on a couch talking for hours about our favorite authors, exchanged tentative (and not so tentative) kisses, and he input my phone number into his phone before any salvia was exchanged! We had the ingredients for, at the very least, him buying me a dinner. But, then I thought to myself, I did end up making out with him. I was a bit aggressive (I have a thing for biting and hair pulling when I am drunk), and he was a bit reserved (I did detect a slight look of shock in his eyes), so I chalked it up to another time when being a make-out slut didn’t present me in the most favorable light.

Oh well, like that hasn’t happened to me before.

But last night, after the dinner where I embarrassed myself in front of the Master of the college, I was supposed to do gay drinks with some buddies at the bar and then head over to Baby Love for gay night so I could dance on the pole, and show off what eight months of stripping class taught me.

But, Chad wasn’t at the bar, even though dinner ran over the time we agreed to meet up. When I spoke to him to ask him how late he was running, he told me he sent me a text message telling me he was sick and that we were going to go out another night instead.

I never got that text message.

My mind started reeling. He isn’t the only one who’s been telling me that they’ve tried calling/texting me all to no avail. Actually, numerous friends of mine can’t call my cell phone. I always thought it was because of bad reception, but even if it is bad coverage you still get the messages late when you return to the service area. So I went to the cell shop where I bought my phone to ask them, ‘what gives?!’

Evidently, what gave, is my fucking cell phone provider. Evidently Mobile World released this number with the prefix 07492 without notifying O2 and Vodaphone, two of the most popular cell phone networks. In order for me to receive phone calls from those providers my number must be uploaded into their respective systems. Until then, my phone number will not be recognized as a valid phone number to those who try to call me from Vodaphone and O2 networks. Thanks to the lack of inter-state commerce laws, there is no recourse that I can make them take.

My only option: put more money on a new sim-card so I could get a new number and keep my old one for outgoing calls only or wait it out. It sucks being poor, well actually I don’t mind it because I have no money to eat, but I really don’t want to buy a new sim card. However, waiting it out also sucks because, thanks to the lack of interstate commerce laws, Mobile World is telling me that it isn’t their problem and they have no idea when it will get fixed.

Now, if I had a job and was back in the US, I would be calling my friend Eliot Spitzer Attorney General of NY State, Consumer Affairs, and try to get on TV for my fifteen minutes of white trash fame as I asked ‘Help Me Howard’ on channel 9 news to shame the cell phone company on national tv in order to get my money back. But because I have no money (student loan check hasn’t cleared—am thinking of setting up a pay pal account actually), I am going to suck it up and not tell them to “Fuck Off”, especially since I pay only 5P a min to call the US.

So, the moral of the story. On the off night I actually met someone decent, someone who I could possibly see myself dating, he can’t call me because he probably has one of those networks. Mobile World is preventing me from getting laid. Thanks.

In other news, have one page of the three page summary I need for tomorrow. You know, the assignment where I read only 300 of the required 600 pages, skimmed the 150 of the 300 that I supposedly “read” and watched tv as I read about 50 pages. But boy do I know one of those journal articles really really well!

4 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you look at someone like www.phonecheap.co.uk. Looks much cheaper than 5p for calling the USA.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger petey said...

"fuck you" often isn't the best way to go about getting what you want here in the UK... at least say "fuck you please" esp. in Ox...

 
At 3:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is God,
I promise if you go on a two week bender and suck every English cock in sight, I'll reconnect your phone for a minimal charge.
(We're not against you, we just want you to stick to what sells)

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should read Spinoza...

Anonymous from the UWS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home