Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A Feminist Rant

I had an appt with the doctor today so I can start to fill my birth control pills here. I handed the prescription to the pharmacist and within five minutes he hands me a blue box. I give him and credit card and he looks at me kinda funny.

“Uhm, are you telling me it is free?” I ask in my very American accent.

A tiny smile creeps upon his face.

When I told my British flatmate about it, she too laughed at me and thought that the notion of paying for birth control is ludicrous.

Point: Brits for making birth control free and very easily accessible.

But when talking to the doctor about the availability to the HPV vaccine in this country she told me, “It’s still not approved.”

Evidently anything costly (I think the shots run almost $600) takes a very long time to be approved here. Very sad considering how many lives it can save.

Point: The American pharmaceutical industry

Anyway, my feminist rant for the day. But therapy was a blast—especially with a stiffer upper lipped Brit counseling a neurotic Jewish NYer. Brilliant! And in better news, declined an invitation for £2 all you can drink at one of the colleges. Instead am heading to the library right now. Goes to show that I am not as fucked up as I appear to be; I just need some guidance every now and then.

2 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Blogger petey said...

he he he ironic. encouraging more sex with free contraception but then not compesnating for the sluttyness with free STD drugs. crazy

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Maureen said...

Free birth control. You gotta hand it to them, but given that the HPV vaccine prevents cancer, you'd think they could speed up the approval process. I realize it's expensive, but come on. It prevents cancer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home